This Is Not A Song by Hearingfield is an ambient synthesized music project by Seattle based composer and musician, Michael Mitchell. Its purpose is to provide a separate outlet for musical works, which are aimed squarely at audiophile Hi-Fi systems.
This album was recorded in Stereo DSD 128 using a Tascam DA-3000 Analog to Digital Converter. It is available in Stereo DSD 512, DSD 256, DSD 128 and DSD 64 only at NativeDSD.Com
Michael Mitchell tells us “The album is a representation of synesthesia, as I’ve always experienced it. Thankfully, it’s been made possible by my discovery of Direct Stream Digital (DSD) recording and audiophile Hi-Fi systems, and the enhanced immersion that these technologies provide. To some, the recordings may be viewed more as calibration tracks for an audio system. But maybe they will also encourage people to think about experiencing music and sound in a different way.
It’s a collection of music, with the specific goal of creating environments in the listener’s space. The rhythmic, tonal, and harmonic content serves only as a carrier, or vehicle, to move the air in the room. Each track places varying degrees of emphasis on things like detail retrieval, instrument separation, and depth in the soundstage.
The recordings were made for playback on a Stereo Hi-Fi speaker setup. And there is enough breathing room in the recordings, so that they’ll scale with the quality of the playback system, instead of sounding bright, punchy, and up-front on every device combination.
I happily encourage listeners to remind themselves, “This Is Not A Song”, and then see where the experience takes them. No doubt, we all hear things differently, but these are my own interpretations”
- White Waves: Riding on a deep tide of calm energy, with guiding objects appearing through the foam.
- Leaving Gate B: 4 guides speaking and revealing their infinite backing chorus.
- Ripples: Becoming aware of a distant reaction taking place and moving closer to witness the interplay between the forces.
- Circular Experiences: Undulating width, space, and texture, creating room to occupy with oneself.
- Harmonic Rays: A backdrop of living analog, morphing roles and projecting warmth. Objects dance in the foreground, like moons or cherubs.
- Polygon 2: A polygon made of fractal harmonics, moving back and forth while floating in a space.
- Scan Then Understand: Coming into presence, pushing beyond the initial turbulent wall, into endless space. Then, seeing the subtle interplay and getting a glimpse of the logic at work.
- Unified Bells: An endless forest of meditative tone trees.
- Unified Rain: A backdrop of misty particles with limitless possibilities. Figures occasionally organizing, and emerging into the foreground as defined shapes, and fading back into the mist.
TracklistPlease note that the below previews are loaded as 44.1 kHz / 16 bit.
Total time: 00:37:06
|Analog to Digital Converter|
Tom Caulfield at NativeDSD Mastering Lab – Stereo DSD 128 to DSD 512, DSD 256, DSD 64, FLAC 24/192 and FLAC 24/96 Transfers
|Original Recording Format|
|Release Date||February 17, 2023|
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.